Top tips to reduce allergens in your home.
Create Pet-Free Zones
Don’t let your pets have the whole run of the house – if you reserve specific areas that are pet-free, for example you or your children’s bedrooms, you can provide a safe haven from itching and sneezing.
Reduce Dust and Pet Hair
- Dust and pet allergens are very light – just walking past a dusty table can be enough of a breeze to make these tiny particles become airborne.
- Preventing dust from becoming airborne will reduce allergens in the air by up to 80%. Remove dust and pet dander from tables, bookcases, desks and kitchen surfaces using antibacterial wipes or surface cleanser. Wet, rather than dry dusting is more effective in removing allergens.
- Reduce carpet and fabric upholstery where possible. Blinds rather than curtains, leather/faux leather upholstery instead of plush fabrics, and wooden or laminate flooring are easier to remove dust and pet hair.
- Make sure your home is well ventilated, even if you just open doors and windows for an hour or so a day.
- Wash your pet’s bedding regularly, as well as any soft toys.
- If your pet has a favourite armchair or spot on an upholstered or carpeted surface, vacuum it regularly. Or place a towel or blanket where your pet likes to sleep so it can be removed and washed regularly.
Keep Pets Groomed
- Dogs should be given regular baths to maintain healthy skin and help remove excess fur. Use dog shampoo as human shampoo can be too harsh.
- Groom cats regularly to remove excess fur and promote healthy skin. It also helps to prevent hairballs, particularly in long haired breeds.
Keep Those Hands Clean!
- Wash hands after handling your pets.
- Encourage children to wash their hands before eating, especially if they have been in contact with pets or their bedding.
There are so many great reasons why having a pet is good for your family – they encourage us to get outside in the fresh air, teach children responsibility and are fantastic and loving companions. Just remember to follow our simple hygiene tips and you’ll help your whole family to live a happy, healthy life together.